Tips on Bathroom Safety
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: December 29, 2011
Many household accidents happen in the bathroom; water and slippery surfaces can cause problems when people aren’t careful. But bathroom accidents are easy to prevent by following a few simple steps:
- Make sure your bathtub or whirlpool has a slip-resistant bottom; Most new tubs have a textured slip-resistant bottom that helps provide stability.
- Install grab bars around the room, such as next to the bathtub or near the toilet. You might even use one as a towel bar (A towel rack won’t support your weight if you fall).
- Install clothes hooks above eye level, so if you slip and fall, nothing can poke you in the eye.
- Use a night-light to prevent trips and falls at night.
- Don’t build more than one step up to the bathtub or whirlpool – in fact, having no step is preferable.
- Choose a vanity and vanity top with rounded edges.
- Make sure doors open out. If someone falls, lands against the door and can’t move, they will be trapped.
- Never leave small children alone in the bathtub; not even for a split second, and especially not to answer the phone.
- Use a faucet that has a Hot-Limit Safety Stop feature, which allows you to prevent water that’s too hot from coming out of the faucet. This is an especially useful feature if you have small children. You might also consider turning down the water temperature for the whole house supply.
- Consider installing an anti-scald pressure balanced valve in your shower; that way, if there’s a sudden drop in water pressure while you’re showering, you won’t suddenly be pelted with hot water.
- Use small ceramic tiles or a less slippery floor material. Avoid scatter rugs that slide around.
- Have a pull-out step so kids can reach the sink.
- Avoid scattered rugs that slide around.
- Include seating wherever you can, specifically in the shower.
- Throw lots of light around, including lighted switches and a night light.
For more safety tips for your bathroom or ideas on how to make your bathroom more handicapped accessible, please give me a call at Ravinia Plumbing & Heating Co. at (847) 432-5561 or visit us at www.RaviniaPlumbing.com
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
The Benefits of Changing Your Furnace Filter
March 7, 2023
All HVAC systems have air filters, which need to be replaced regularly. Unfortunately, far too many homeowners often neglect this simple DIY task Read more…