Becoming a Plumber in Illinois
- Categories: Plumbing
- Date: May 5, 2022
As discussed last month, there are numerous benefits to becoming a plumber in Illinois (https://raviniaplumbing.com/blog/becoming-a-plumber/), ranging from great compensation to low cost of entry to fun and important work, plus more. Here we discuss how to become a plumber in Illinois.
Basic Requirements to Become a Plumber
There are some basic requirements to becoming a plumber in Illinois:
- High school diploma or GED
- Be age 16 or older
- Be a U.S. citizen or in the process of becoming one
Step One: Complete a Plumbing Apprenticeship
Before you become a plumber, you need to complete an apprenticeship. While you need a high school diploma or GED to become a fully licensed plumber, some apprenticeship programs will allow you to enroll after completing two years of high school. Others will require a high school diploma or GED and may require you to be 18 years old. Here is what else you must do:
- Complete an approved apprenticeship program through a college, university, or trade school.
- Complete an application to be an apprentice plumber. There is a $100 fee for an apprentice license in Illinois and $225 for plumbers licensed in Chicago or outside of Illinois.
- As an apprentice, work under a licensed plumber for a minimum of four years. You can do this while you are in the apprenticeship program, so you can make money while you are learning. While working to qualify for an Illinois plumbing license, you will perform many of the functions licensed plumbers perform. These could include:
- Unclogging drains and sewers
- Cleaning water supply and disposal systems
- Installing new plumbing fixtures
- Repairing, assembling, and cutting pipes
- Responding to customer inquiries
- Preparing and cleaning job sites.
You have seven years to complete this apprenticeship.
Step Two: Become a Licensed Plumber
Here are the steps to become a licensed plumber:
- Apply. There is a $175 application fee ($225 for plumbers in Chicago or outside Illinois).
- Take the plumber’s license exam which consists of two parts:
- A written portion that evaluates your knowledge of the plumbing code
- A practical portion where you must fabricate different assemblies of waste and water piping that are assessed for the ability to hold pressure and dimensional correctness
Note that 72% of people taking the exam fail. You must complete it within seven years of completing your apprenticeship, or you must start over.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric about Becoming a Plumber
If you are interested in becoming a plumber, Ravinia Plumbing is interested in talking with you. We offer interesting work, excellent compensation, and opportunities for advancement. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Visit Ravinia Plumbing today to learn more or check out our careers page to view our current openings.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…