Benefits of Wi-Fi Thermostats
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: December 5, 2022
While Wi-Fi (or “smart”) thermostats have been around for a while, still less than 50% of U.S. homes have them. But many more are considering them. If you fall into that category, here are some things to consider.
Wi-Fi Thermostat Definition
A Wi-Fi thermostat is a programmable thermostat that lets you preset or adjust your home’s temperature from a smart device such as a mobile phone or a tablet.
Benefits of a Wi-Fi Thermostat
Wi-Fi thermostats offer four basic benefits: convenience, energy savings, comfort and safety.
- Since you can pre-program the Wi-Fi or smart thermostat and create specific temperature settings, you don’t have to worry about constantly adjusting it.
- If you’ve been away from the home for a while, and have set the thermostat lower to save money (or higher in the summer), you can use a Wi-Fi connection to remotely adjust the temperature.
- Even if you are at home, sitting in a chair, and you are too cold or warm, you can get on your mobile device and adjust the temperature without getting up.
- Programming these thermostats is very easy. It is estimated that 40% of people who own non-Wi-Fi programmable thermostats do not program them.
- Varying the temperature depending on the time of day or day of the week or whether you are home or out will reduce your energy bills. For example, in the winter, pre-setting the thermostat lower while you sleep will reduce energy usage and costs.
- Many Wi-Fi thermostats “learn” from your behavior and, based on those behaviors, automatically adjust the temperature to reduce energy costs.
- All of these features that save you money will also make you more comfortable in your home.
- Most Wi-Fi thermostats allow the user to set upper and lower temperature alerts. For example, if you set a lower temperature limit at 50 degrees Fahrenheit and you leave for vacation and set your thermostat to 60 F, if the furnace stops working and the temperature starts to drop in the home, once the temperature hits the lower limit of 50F, you will receive a notification through the thermostat app. This way you can get a service company out to repair the furnace before the house freezes up which can result in water damage throughout the house due to frozen and burst pipes.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric About Wi-Fi Thermostats
Ravinia Plumbing’s experienced heating and cooling systems technicians can help you select and then install the Wi-Fi thermostat that best meets your needs. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and cooling system, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
How Wi-Fi Thermostats “Learn”
February 3, 2023
You already know the basics of how Wi-Fi – or “smart" – thermostats work. You can pre-set the temperature and modify it via your mobile pho Read more…