Tips for Buying a New Washing Machine
- Categories: Electrical
- Date: May 28, 2021
Unfortunately, washing machines do not last forever. You may want to consider buying a new washing machine if:
- It’s getting old. You should expect about 10 years from your washing machine before it starts breaking down.
- It’s noisy, which could be a minor problem such as worn belts or pulleys, or more significant issues such as a clutch or transmission.
- You want a more efficient machine. A good Energy Star-certified washer can use 25% less energy and 45% less water than older models.
- Water is leaking.
- There are bad smells coming from it.
Tips for Buying a New Washing Machine
Here are some thoughts on buying a new washing machine.
- Stackable or side by side. This will depend on the amount of space you have. If you have limited space, such as a closet, a stacked washer and dryer might be your only option.
- Size. Standard washers are generally 27 or 27.5 inches wide with a capacity of 3.1 to 6.2 cubic feet. More compact machines are typically 24 inches wide. Before you buy a machine, make sure you have room for it in your laundry room. You will need four to six inches behind the machine for hook-ups, plus an inch or two on either side. Additionally, you will need about 20 inches up top for a top-loader, and 20 inches or so in the front for front-load washers.
- Top-load washing machine vs. front-load washing machine. This is the age-old washing machine question. Here are some points to consider:
- Per above, space is a key issue. Consider whether you have enough space above the machine for a top-loader, or in front of the machine for a front-loader.
- Front-load washing machines, while generally more expensive, will hold more clothes and bulky items, but you will have to bend down to retrieve the clothes. Front-loading washers may also have storage space underneath.
- Top-loading washers generally have higher spin speeds, making drying more efficient. The issue with top-loaders is it may be hard for shorter people to reach the bottom.
- Energy efficiency. Energy-efficient models rated between A and C feature options such as a short wash. Others have an Auto Weight Sensor that regulates the length of the wash based on capacity, rather than a set time. These washers also provide a wider array or temperatures, so you can select a lower temperature to reduce cost.
- Other features. Washers often come with special features that provide additional convenience and efficiency, although perhaps at a higher cost.
- Digital displays make it easier to control the cycle and to monitor the wash’s progress. Some digital displays also have a memory setting to help you select the wash program. Finally, some have an LED display that may be easier to read.
- Wi-Fi. Of course, washing machines, like most other appliances, can include Wi-Fi access. You can use your phone or tablet to start and pause a load and be informed when the load is done.
- Detergent dispensing. Another convenient feature is a detergent dispenser that will dispense the detergent evenly, so you do not have to pour it on the load.
- Self-cleaning washers provide for easier maintenance.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Plumbing-Related Issues with Your Appliances
Some washing machine issues can be handled with a repair instead of a replacement. Contact the plumbing professionals at Ravinia Plumbing today for plumbing-related issues with your washing machine and other appliances. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, HVAC, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…