Types of Attic Insulation
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: September 7, 2022
Last month we told you about the many benefits of proper attic insulation, including health, comfort, economic and safety benefits. The question then becomes what is the best installation. There are two factors to consider: type of material and application method. In this blog, we discuss the types of material.
Types of Material
There are numerous types of materials for installing attic insulation, including:
- Mineral wool
- Natural fibers (i.e., cotton, sheep’s wool, straw, hemp)
The three most common attic insulation types are fiberglass, cellulose and spray foam insulation.
Fiberglass insulation is the most common insulation material. It is made from fine glass fibers and is applied in batts, rolls and loose-fill insulation.
- Moisture resistant
- Effectively blocks heat flow
- Easy to install (you may be able to do it yourself)
- Irritating to the skin and lungs, so always wear masks, gloves and protective clothing if insulating yourself
Cellulose is made from recycled paper products. Cellulose insulation is usually fire and insect resistant, and is usually applied as loose-fill insulation.
- Environmentally friendly
- Fire and insert resistant
- Effectiveness decreases when it absorbs moisture
- Therefore, it may need to be replaced more frequently (i.e. every five years)
Foam insulation is made from plastic material such as polystyrene, polyisocyanurate or polyurethane. Foam insulation is sprayed or installed in rigid foam boards.
- Energy efficient
- Especially good for abnormally shaped areas or working around obstructions if sprayed
- Not very thick and contracts with age, pulling away from the framing
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric about Our Quality Home Services
Although Ravinia Plumbing doesn’t provide insulation installation services, we do offer a full range of heating, cooling and indoor air quality services for your home or business. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact us today to schedule service.
Family Owned Since 1928
What Are the Different Types of Water Filtration Systems?
September 7, 2022
Benefits of Clean Water We’ve spent the last few months discussing ways to save water inside and outside your home. In addition to saving wate Read more…