You wake up on a frigid morning relatively warm because your furnace is keeping you comfortable. But then you plod into the bathroom and you’re greeted by a cold floor that sends shivers through you.
Solution? Today many people are installing a radiant heat system under their floors to keep their feet warm. While used primarily in the bathrooms, these systems can also be installed in kitchens or any other area of the house.
Types of Radiant Floor Heating Systems
Radiant heating systems are installed under the floor. There are two basic types.
- Warm water systems that run hot water through pipes to create heat.
- Electric systems that use wiring beneath the floor to create heat.
Pros of Installing a Radiant Heating System
Here are some of the benefits of installing a radiant floor heating system:
- Simply put, they keep your feet warm.
- Both types use a thermostat to set the desired temperature. And since you don’t have to turn your main thermostat up to keep the floor warm enough, you can save up to 15% on your heating bills.
- Long-lasting. Many come with a 30-year guarantee.
- Little to no maintenance.
- Easy to program. You can use a programmable thermostat or even a Smart Wi-Fi thermostat to regulate the temperature.
- They are easy for your contractor to install. Typically, installation takes just a few days at most.
- They can work with any type of floor, including laminate, tile, and stone.
- If you heat your Chicago, IL, home with radiators, you will not need one in the room where you have radiant heat, freeing up space.
- Additionally, if you heat with radiators, you remove the risk of people burning themselves or cutting themselves on sharp edges.
Your final question might be how much a radiant floor heat system costs to install. A rough estimate is $10 to $12 per square foot.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Installation of a Chicago Radiant Heat System
A radiant heating system is a great heat source because they’re silent, comfortable, energy-efficient, and even heating systems. For more information about installing a radiant floor heating system in your Chicago, IL, home, contact the heating and cooling pros at Ravinia Plumbing today. Our company has been in business since 1928 and also provides quality and reliable furnace, heat pump, and air conditioning tune-ups, repairs, and installation services.