The Benefits of Sump Pump Maintenance
- Categories: Plumbing, Sump Pumps
- Date: June 28, 2021
Your sump pump and battery backup pump may reside unnoticed in the recesses of your basement, but when summer’s thunderstorms hit, you’ll want to make sure they are in good working order. A bad sump pump and/or battery backup can mean a flooded basement in your Chicago North Shore or Chicago Northwest suburban home.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Sump Pump
Here are a few things you can do.
If your sump pump disposes water from your washing machine, clean the pump screen or inlet opening. Make sure you unplug it before you do so.
- Clean the inlet screen and opening if your pump does not dispose of water from your washing machine.
- Make sure it is plugged in.
- Dump a bucket of water into the pump to raise the float and make sure the pump turns on.
In addition to what you do quarterly:
- Remove the pump from the sump and clean it.
- Clean the sump.
- If necessary, grease or oil the pump bearings
Annual Professional Sump Pump Inspection
In addition, you will want a professional to inspect the pump annually and do the following:
- Make sure the pit is large enough – at least 24 inches deep and 18 inches wide – to allow the pump to function properly.
- Make sure the check valve is working. The check valve prevents water in the discharge pipe from flowing back into the pit after the pump turns off.
- Ensure the battery backup is working properly.
- Test the alarm (if the pump has one) to make sure it is working properly.
- Check the cover to make sure it fits properly to prevent water from evaporating into the basement.
- Make sure the pump’s discharge location is correct. It should be at least 20 feet away from your home to make sure water does not drain back toward the house.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Sump Pump Maintenance
The professionals at Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric can perform annual maintenance on your sump pump and battery backup, repairing anything that needs to be repaired. We can also provide sump pump installation services in your home to prevent flooding and water damage. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, HVAC, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…