Maintaining a Standby Generator
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: May 18, 2022
If you have a standby generator, you’ve made a smart move. It will prevent you from expensive and inconvenient damage should your house lose power. And, if properly maintained, it can last decades. If not properly maintained, it can break down, and could even negate your warranty. So here is a checklist of things you need to do to maintain your standby generator.
What You Can Do to Maintain Your Standby Generator
Here are some things you should do periodically.
- Run the generator and ensure it runs without alarms or warnings.
- Ensure that the generator is in “Auto” mode for automatic startup.
- Make sure that the circuit breaker is closed.
- Check for fluid leaks.
- Check engine coolant.
- Check engine oil.
- Check the battery charger.
Professional Standby Generator Maintenance Checklist
- Inspect the enclosure.
- Check the battery electrolyte level and specific gravity.
- Check battery cables and connections.
- Inspect drive belts.
- Inspect the coolant heater.
- Check the coolant lines and connections.
- Check for oil leaks.
- Inspect the lubrication system hoses and connectors.
- Check for fuel leaks.
- Inspect fuel system hoses and connectors.
- Inspect the exhaust system, including the muffler and exhaust pipe.
- Clean air cleaner units.
- Inspect air induction piping and connections.
- Inspect the DC electrical system, control panel and accessories.
- Inspect the AC wiring and accessories.
- Change the oil and oil filter.
- Change the fuel filter.
- Change the air filter.
- Change the spark plugs.
- Clean the crankcase breather.
- Check coolant concentration.
- Flush the cooling system.
- Perform load bank testing.
- Fuel testing & reconditioning (diesel-fueled units only).
- Remove water from the fuel tank (diesel-fueled units only).
Remote Access for Standby Generators
One other very important thing to consider is providing your service provider with remote access to your generator. With remote access, your service provider can monitor your generator continuously to make sure it is always operational. With remote access, your service provider can:
- Monitor key diagnostic items such as battery voltage, fuel status, coolant status, missed exercises and alarms.
- Contact you and, if required, dispatch a technician.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Standby Generators and Standby Generator Maintenance
The electrical professionals at Ravinia Plumbing can help you select and install a home standby generator to protect your whole home from a power outage, maintain it, and then monitor it remotely. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Visit Ravinia Plumbing today to learn more, and to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
Benefits of Wi-Fi Thermostats
December 5, 2022
While Wi-Fi (or “smart”) thermostats have been around for a while, still less than 50% of U.S. homes have them. But many more are considering Read more…