A new air conditioner is a significant investment. So, you don’t want to replace your existing unit too soon. On the other hand, you don’t want it to go out in the middle of summer when it’s blistering hot out. So right now, stop, look, and listen for these warning signs that your air conditioner needs to be replaced.
- Age. Air conditioners don’t last forever. Expect your air conditioning unit to last around 15 years (less if you have not properly maintained it). Even if there are no other problems, if your air conditioner is reaching that age, it might make sense to consider a new, more energy-efficient unit.
- It’s not keeping your house cool. Your air conditioning system is supposed to keep your house cool; that’s its job. If cool air is not coming from your vents and warm air is, that could be a sign that the unit is failing.
- Frequent cycling. If you notice your air conditioner is turning on and off more frequently, this could be a sign of a failing unit.
- Humidity. An air conditioner not only should keep your house cool; it should also keep it less humid. If your house is becoming more humid, it could be because there is a problem with your air conditioner.
- Rising utility costs. As your air conditioner ages, its ability to cool becomes less efficient. This will be reflected in higher energy costs. If you see your monthly energy bills increasing, it may be a sign that it is time to replace your AC unit.
- Frequent repairs. If you are having your unit repaired more often, and if those repairs are becoming more expensive, it’s probably time to purchase a new AC.
- Moisture. Some condensation around your air conditioner is normal. An excessive amount of water can signal a more serious problem.
- Leakage. Even more potentially harmful is a refrigerant leak. Not only is that an indication that your unit is failing, but the standing coolant is also a health hazard.
- Unusual sounds. If you hear strange noises like grinding, rattling, buzzing, or banging, that could reflect a serious problem such as broken motor bearings.
- Smells. The air coming out of your unit should be clean and odorless. If there is a musty, moldy, burning, or smoky smell, it could mean you need a new air conditioner.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Your Air Conditioner Maintenance, Repair and Replacement Needs
If you’re not sure whether the problems you are having with your cooling system require repair or replacement, contact the heating and cooling professionals at Ravinia Plumbing today. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, HVAC, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.