What Is a Sewer Line Camera Inspection?
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: February 26, 2023
You should not go through the expense and inconvenience of excavating your sewer line unless you know precisely what the problem is. In our most recent blog, the plumbers at Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric discuss the importance of sewer video inspections to assess the condition of your home’s sewer system. To schedule a sewer video inspection in your Chicago North Shore or Chicago Northwest suburban home, contact Ravinia Plumbing today.
When Should Sewer Video Inspections Be Performed?
Fortunately, sewer video line inspections can identify whether you have a sewer problem, and what that problem is. Sewer video inspections are appropriate in the following circumstances:
- You live in an older house and want a sewer camera inspection for peace of mind that nothing is wrong.
- You have been experiencing sewer line backups.
- You have not had a problem, but there are tree roots by the sewer lines.
- You suspect that tree roots may have grown into the pipe.
- You are buying a home and want to make sure there are no problems (you might ask the seller to have a sewer line inspection for you).
- There may be a crack, hole, or corrosion due to aging, ground settling, etc.
- You may have contributed to sewer line problems by disposing of inappropriate items in the toilet, or the kitchen sink.
Benefits of Sewer Camera Inspections
Frequently, sewer line clogs can be cleared through sewer rodding. However, it is also important to have a sewer camera inspection of the sewer pipe to identify specific problems. Here are the benefits of a sewer camera inspection:
Prevent Major Problems
You can identify hidden problems and spend a little money to fix them before they become major problems that can cost a lot more.
Pinpoint the Exact Location of the Problem
You can identify the specific location of a problem, eliminating the need for unnecessary, noisy, unsightly, and intrusive digging.
Video Verification for Insurance Purposes
If you have extensive damage that you can claim on your insurance, the video can verify why you need work on your sewer line done.
Less Expensive and Faster
A video inspection is cheaper and faster than unnecessarily digging up a swer line.
Help in Reselling Your Home
Having proof of a sewer line video inspection can help with your home’s resale.
How Do Sewer Line Video Inspections Work?
Here’s the step-by-step process for how sewer line cameras work:
- The system consists of three parts: a camera reel, a recording monitor, and a locator. The sewer camera head is attached to a fairly rigid push cable. The camera head is inserted into the sewer and pushed downline.
- As the sewer camera head is pushed into the sewer, the plumber can see the inside of the sewer through the monitor. The entire sewer line video footage can be recorded for later playback and review.
- Some problems can be corrected immediately. For example, if the issue is an overgrowth of tree roots, the operator can use a rodding machine (which looks like a coiled spring cable with a cutter head attached to the end) to cut the roots before they are flushed out of the sewer. Alternatively, the operator can use special chemicals to take care of the root intrusion.
- Other problems, such as a shear or collapse in your sewer pipes, will require excavation. If the sewer requires excavation, the plumber must locate the problem above ground to identify the exact location to dig. The sewer camera head contains a transponder that sends out a signal. A locator is used to detect the transponder signal to locate the camera head above ground. More sophisticated locators can even tell the depth of the camera head.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Sewer Line Inspection
If you’re experiencing problems with your sewer lines or haven’t had them inspected in a long time, contact the plumbers at Ravinia Plumbing. We’ll perform a complete video pipe inspection using the latest industry techniques including sewer cameras. We can offer sewer pipe repair and sewer line replacement for our customers. Our HVAC, electrical, and plumbing company has been in business since 1928 (that’s 95 years), and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted home services companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…