What Are the Benefits of Roof De-icing Systems
- Categories: Electrical
- Date: October 28, 2021
Remember last winter you were gazing at those ice dams on your roof and hoping they would not damage the roof or cause problems in your home? And you promised yourself that you would do something to eliminate that risk “next year.”
“Next year” is here, and now is the time to think about installing a de-icing system on your roof – not after ice dams have already formed. These heated roof systems feature cables that heat up and prevent melted snow from refreezing and forming ice dams. Here are the benefits of installing such a system.
- Prevents damage to the roof. When snow on the roof melts and then freezes, it will form ice dams. As those dams melt, they will penetrate the roof’s shingles, causing damage to the roof.
- Prevents damage to the home. As the shingles are damaged, moisture can penetrate the top layer of your home, causing even more extensive damage.
- Inexpensive to operate. These systems run on electricity, and only cost about 35 cents an hour to heat 300 square feet. A small price to pay to remove the risk of damage from ice dams.
- Can be operated manually or automatically. An automatic system allows you to preset at what temperature the system should be turned on or off.
- On/off switch is small and inconspicuous and can be mounted in the garage or in your home.
Here are some things to consider when purchasing a system.
- Make sure the system not only covers the roof, but also the eaves and gutters.
- Make sure the system can operate automatically so you don’t have to worry about turning it on or off.
- Make sure you can control the system via a tablet or phone through Wi-Fi.
- Even though most people won’t notice, try to pick a system where the color of the heating cables will blend in with the roof and gutter.
- While homeowners can install these systems, it probably is wise to have them professionally installed, especially since you are dealing with electricity.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric to Help You Prevent Ice Damage to Your Roof
Ravinia Plumbing can help you prevent ice dams from damaging your roof and home by installing high quality roof de-icing systems. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
How Much Does a Ductless Mini-Split Cost to Operate?
December 2, 2021
Are you looking for an energy-efficient alternative to your home’s traditional HVAC system to save money on your monthly energy bill? If so, co Read more…