Preparing the Outside of Your Home for Summer
Hopefully, we will soon be able to enjoy many of our warm weather activities with our friends and our families. If nothing else, we will be able to at least hang in our back yards. As we anticipate spending more time outside, let’s think about some things we can do to prepare the outside of our homes for summer.
- Wash your windows (outside and inside). Clean windows will allow the sun to brighten your rooms, which in turn could let you save energy on lighting.
- Repair screens. If you keep your windows open, you’ll want to make sure the screens are not damaged so bugs cannot get in.
- Inspect your roof. Even though we had a relatively mild winter, it is possible that your roof could have been damaged through snow melting and then freezing. Replace any missing shingles and don’t be afraid to contact a professional roofer if you notice or suspect more damage.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. When spring and summer rains come, you will want the water to flow away from your home. That can’t happen if your gutters and downspouts are clogged. If they are clogged, the water will pool around your house, and possibly lead to flooding.
- Grade landscaping so water flows away from your home. Clean gutters and downspouts won’t help much if the water has no place to go once it is out of the downspouts.
- Check the hardscaping too. Fix small cracks on your driveway that melting and subsequent freezing may have caused, and contact a professional if need be.
- Drain the gas from the snowblower and put it away.
- Prune and trim your trees. Spring is the best time to do that.
- Check your sprinkler system to make sure it is running effectively.
- Clean your grill. And if you have a grill that uses propane, always make sure you have an extra tank on hand.
- Power wash your patio to get rid of dirt and moss.
- Clear debris around your air conditioner condenser. You don’t want dirt or debris to enter the condenser, potentially damaging it.
Family Owned Since 1928
Prolonging a Furnace Repair Can Lead to Many Other Unwanted Problems
December 30, 2020
We know the value of annual physicals. A doctor can detect a problem while it’s treatable before it morphs into a serious ailment. Our furnace Read more…