It’s December. That means fun, festivities and family. Maybe a little travel. It also means you are asking: “What can I do better in 2024?” It’s probably not top of mind, but when you are “resolving”, resolve to take care of your plumbing system. Here are some suggestions from Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric:
- Prevent frozen pipes. This is especially timely now. When the weather turns frigid, keep a trickle of water coming from the faucets and open cabinet doors to have the air from your home warm up pipes exposed to the cold. Consider insulating those pipes.
- Fix leaks. If you notice a small leak in a toilet or a faucet, take care of it right away. These little leaks can lead to not so little increases in your water bill and could also become big leaks that can cause big damage.
- Keep your toilets from clogging. This is an easy one. Just keep what you flush down the toilet to human waste and toilet paper. No cotton balls, tissues, hair, baby wipes, or feminine hygiene products.
- Keep your kitchen sink from clogging. Your garbage disposal is not a garbage can, and it cannot handle “everything but the kitchen sink”. Do NOT put down coffee grounds, bones, grease, fat, oil, pits, seeds, or fibrous vegetables. Make sure to run lots of water when grinding starchy foods.
- Invest in drain guards. Drain guards for your tub and shower are inexpensive and can keep hair and other materials from going down and clogging your drains.
- No chemical drain cleaners. Drains will occasionally clog, and it makes sense to occasionally use agents to prevent clogging. Opt for natural remedies like baking soda and vinegar instead of chemical drain cleaners.
- Don’t waste water. There are numerous ways to do that. Turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth or shaving. Take showers instead of baths. Use the dishwasher instead of washing dishes by hand. Only wash full loads of dishes and clothes.
- Take care of your water heater. You should flush your water heater at least once a year. This will help remove mineral, dirt or sediment build up to keep your water clean and prevent damage.
- Consider a water filtration system. Poor water quality can cause dry hair and skin, odors, funny taste and inability to clean your dishes. If you notice these problems, the water in your home may be too hard, and you should invest in a water filtration system.
- Take care of your sewer line. Regular rodding of your sewer line can prevent backups that can lead to expensive and inconvenient flooding. On top of that, have your sewer line inspected to determine if the pipes are damaged.
- Protect your sump pump. The other key to prevent flooding is to have a working sump pump. Test your sump pump regularly by pouring water down the pit and making sure it works. And if you do not have a battery backup pump, get one. You’ll need it if the power goes out during a storm.
- Get a whole house plumbing inspection from a professional plumber. This one can help with several of the above resolutions. The inspection will cover everything from faucets and fixtures to sewers and drains to pumps to water heaters. This inspection will help you find and fix small problems before they become big ones.
Resolve to Contact Ravinia Plumbing for Expert Plumbing Assistance
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric’s experienced and licensed plumbers can help you with all your plumbing needs, from conducting a whole house plumbing inspection to routine maintenance and installation to 24/7/365 emergency service.
Our customers have relied on us since 1928 (that’s 95 years!) for quality products, knowledgeable technicians and superior service, including 24/7/365 emergency service.
That is why we’ve made a name for ourselves as the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicago’s North Shore and Northwest suburbs. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.