Plumbing New Year’s Resolutions
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: December 19, 2017
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Toot the horns and throw the confetti. It’s 2018. Well, not yet, but close. You still have time to make your New Year’s resolutions. When you do, resolve to take care of your plumbing. Here are 12 New Year’s resolutions. Theoretically one for every month, but a little weighted toward winter.
- Get a whole house plumbing inspection to identify small problems before they become big, messy, expensive problems.
- If you don’t, at least be diligent by having your water heater and sump pump system inspected annually.
- Have your sewer line rodded. If you have had problems in the past, have a video inspection done to identify the source of those problems.
- Insulate your pipes in exposed areas such as your garage, crawl space, attic and unfinished basement. Frozen pipes can burst, causing a mess and potentially a lot of damage.
- Seal off any air leaks near outdoor pipes. If you don’t, the cold air can get inside and freeze the pipes.
- Shut off your outdoor water supply and put away the garden hoses.
- If you are going out of town to visit family or for a warm weather vacation, do not set your thermostat below 55 degrees. Any lower, and your pipes could freeze (see above).
- Your toilet is not a trash can. Here is what you can flush down the toilet. Human waste and toilet paper. Here is what you shouldn’t flush down the toilet. Everything else.
- Put your garbage disposer on a strict diet. No non-food items. No fibrous foods. No grease, fats or oils. No fruit pits, seeds and apple cores. No bones (even though some disposers are tested with bones).
- Conserve water by taking shorter showers. Also consider low-flow shower heads, which can save up to 15 gallons of water during a 10-minute shower.
- Conserve more water by only running the washing machine and dishwasher when they are full.
- Replace your toilets with low-flow toilets to save more water.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Can Maintenance and Home Care Clubs or Memberships Truly Save You Money?
May 22, 2018
Homeowners and consumers are always looking for new ways to save money, and the good news is that many product manufacturers and service provider Read more…