With 2021 about to be history, you may be thinking about your New Year’s resolutions. In addition to promises around exercise, diet, saving money, etc., consider these New Year’s resolutions for your home’s plumbing system. Here are an even dozen suggestions. Keep this list handy, and resolve to take action on at least some of them.
- Get a whole house plumbing inspection. Just like you get an annual physical, you should have your plumbing system looked at annually. This will make sure everything is flowing properly and can identify small problems before they become big problems.
- Deal with subsequent problems quickly. Things can happen after the inspection. If you notice a leaky toilet or faucet, or a clogged drain, deal with that right away.
- Take care of your toilet. Only put toilet paper and bodily waste down the toilet. What about cotton balls, feminine hygiene products, hair, pills, etc.? The answer is no to all of them.
- Same with your garbage disposer. Here is a list of things you should not put down the garbage disposer. Coffee grounds, fibrous vegetables, bones, pits, oil, and grease.
- Have your sewer line rodded to make sure there are no obstructions that can lead to flooding.
- Also consider a video inspection of your sewer line.
- Get a battery backup sump pump. You want to be prepared in case the power goes out during a rainstorm. And test your regular pump occasionally by pouring water into the pit to make sure it if functioning properly.
- Insulate your pipes. You don’t want them to freeze or burst during cold weather. This is especially important for pipes that are close to the outside or crawl spaces.
- Drain your water heater at least once a year.
- Save water by investing in WaterSense faucets, toilets, and showerheads.
- Save more water by only washing full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Install a water filter to make sure the water you drink, wash and bathe with is super clean.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Reliable Plumbing Services
Ravinia Plumbing can help you with all your plumbing needs, from conducting a whole house plumbing inspection to routine maintenance and installation to emergency service. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.