Modern outdoor lighting offers many benefits to homeowners. Not only does outdoor lighting boost your home’s curb appeal and overall aesthetics, but it can also keep your family safe by deterring burglars from targeting your home. Burglars are much more likely to break into homes without an outdoor lighting system.
But what type of outdoor lighting is right for your home? The answer often depends on the reasons you are looking to have lighting installed. In our most recent blog, the licensed electricians at Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric explain the different types of outdoor lighting systems and the benefits of having lights installed on your property.
Different Types of Outdoor Lighting
With all of the different outdoor lights available today, it can be confusing for homeowners to decide which type is best for their home. The electricians at Ravinia Plumbing are happy to meet with you to discuss the different lighting options available and help you choose a system that works best for your needs, style and budget.
Some of our most popular outdoor lighting systems include:
- Security lighting. The purpose of security lighting is to provide a level of illumination that deters potential burglars from targeting your property. Security lighting should ideally be installed by each exterior doorway, gates to your backyard, above garages and above decks and patios. Ravinia Plumbing can install security lighting that is set to a timer so it illuminates even when you’re not at home. This gives the impression that you are home even if you’re enjoying a night out on the town or are on vacation.
- Motion sensor lights. Motion sensor lights are another great way to reduce the chance of criminal activity around your property. Just as their name suggests, these lights illuminate only when they sense motion, which is often enough to scare away potential burglars. They’ll also save you money on energy costs since they only illuminate when motion is detected. Motion sensor lights should be installed near all entrances, above the garage door, on walkways, on the sides of homes, and above decks and patios.
- Spotlight and floodlights. Spotlights and floodlights are similar in that they both work to project beams of light to illuminate spaces. Spotlights draw attention to architecture, artwork, gardens and gazebos. Floodlights, meanwhile, are used to illuminate larger areas including parking lots, driveways and pools.
- Landscape lighting fixtures. Landscape lighting adds value to your home by accentuating gardens, plants or bushes.
Benefits of Installing Outdoor Lighting
Some of the benefits of installing outdoor lighting fixtures include:
- Increasing security and safety. A well-lit home after dark is often enough to discourage burglars from trying to break into your home. You, your family and your guests will feel safer while you’re walking into the house from your car or hanging out on your porch. Outdoor lighting also helps people see better, which can reduce slips and falls that can lead to injuries.
- Increasing your home’s value. A well-lit home that accentuates your garden, trees, pathways and architecture is much more desirable to potential home buyers and increases the overall value of your home.
- Extending living spaces. Outdoor light fixtures can create opportunities for you to mix the inside and outside of your living spaces. Additional lighting, including deck lighting and garden lights, allows you and your guests to relax outside when it’s dark and enjoy a meal or drink.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing for Outdoor Lighting Systems
You can trust the licensed electricians at Ravinia Plumbing to install outdoor and indoor lighting systems in your Chicago North Shore or Chicago Northwest suburban home. If you have questions about outdoor lighting systems and solutions, contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.