Media Air Cleaners and Filters
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: February 26, 2023
While air filters installed in your furnace do a great job keeping the HVAC system and ductwork clean, they don’t stop harmful particulates from entering your home. That is why many homeowners today are opting for an additional level of protection and installing media air cleaners for improved indoor air quality.
Media air cleaners are metal-like containers that are installed in your HVAC system’s return duct line. As air passes through your home’s HVAC system, filters installed in those containers capture pollutants such as dust, dander, mold and pollen before they enter your home’s living areas.
Furnace Filters vs. Media Filters
Regular furnace filters are constructed from loosely woven spun-glass fibers. Media filters are more robustly constructed, comprised of deeply pleated paper-like material. Because they are pleated, there is a lot of material – as much as 75 square feet – to trap particulates.
Media filters are given a MERV rating. MERV stands for Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value and indicates the effectiveness of the filter. The higher the rating, the greater percentage of particles captured.
Benefits of Media Air Filters
Here are the benefits of media air filters:
- Health. Media air filters keep your home’s air quality high. This is vital for good health, especially for children, the elderly, and those with respiratory ailments.
- Upgradeable. You can easily swap out an air filter with a lower MERV rating with one with a higher MERV rating without changing the housing. Talk with a professional before upgrading because while a filter with a higher MERV rating will remove more and smaller particles, they also impede airflow through the system which can cause system problems.
- Easy Maintenance. You only need to replace filters once or twice a year. And all you need to do is open the door on the media air cleaner filter box, pull the old air filter out, and put the new one in.
- Inexpensive. Media air cleaners can cost a few hundred dollars to install, and filters can range from $40 to $80 or so. It’s a small price to pay for clean and healthy air.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Media Air Cleaners and Filters
If you are interested in cleaner air in your home, contact Ravinia Plumbing’s HVAC technicians. We can help you select and then install the right media air cleaner and media filter for your home. We’ve been in business since 1928 (95 years!), and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…