Last month we mentioned that more than 400,000 people die from lead poisoning a year in the United States. It can also cause serious health problems, especially in children and older adults.
We also discussed several sources of lead poisoning, including lead paint, lead dust, soil and food. This month we will look at sources of lead poisoning from water, and how to prevent it.
Sources of Lead Poisoning
There are a few ways lead can enter your water supply:
- Lead in municipal supply lines can get into your home’s water supply. This does not happen often, as water is usually treated with anti-corrosive agents to prevent the lead from leaching. But if can happen, as you remember what happened in Flint, MI a few years ago.
- In your home:
- Lead pipes in plumbing installed in homes built before 1930
- Copper pipes with lead solder in plumbing installed before 1985
- Brass faucets and ball valves (although lead in these items was banned a few years ago)
- Outside your home, your garden hose may have lead
Here are some remedies:
- Before you buy a home, have it checked for lead by a certified lab.
- If you suspect lead contamination in your water, also have it checked.
- Have a plumber check if the pipes in your home, the solder, and the faucets and fixtures contain lead. If they do, have them replaced.
- Install a point-of-use filter to eliminate lead from any faucet that you use for cooking and drinking. That even includes the bathroom sink where you brush your teeth.
- If you don’t have a filter, run cold tap water for two minutes before using it for drinking, cooking, or making baby formula. Use cold water because hot water absorbs lead more quickly than cold water.
- If your garden hose tests positive for lead, replace it.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric to Ensure There is No Lead in Your Water
If you do fear there is lead in your water, the plumbing professionals at Ravinia Plumbing can help you identify any potential problems. If you need to replace pipes, faucets or fixtures, we can do that too, as well as filters. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, HVAC, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.