Ways for Improving Your Home’s Air Quality
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: October 26, 2017
With the weather getting colder, you’ll be spending more time in your home so air quality will be important. Because of that, you’ll want the air that you breathe to be clean and pure…for your health and comfort. Here are some tips on how to improve indoor air quality naturally.
- Open the windows. Opening the windows for just five or 10 minutes every day can keep the air fresh.
- No smoking. Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals, and is just plain deadly, even if you do not smoke. The best course of action is to not smoke at all, but if you must do it outside. The same rule holds for guests…do not let them smoke inside your home.
- Use a doormat to prevent dirt from entering your home, and ask people to take their shoes off when they enter your home. This will prevent dust from entering your home.
- Vacuum and mop floors at least once a week. This will reduce dust but also limit the growth of mold, which can create numerous health issues.
- Keeping humidity at 30% to 50% will also reduce dust mites, mold and other allergens.
- Avoid chemicals in air fresheners and laundry products. This includes aerosol spray products such as hair sprays and air fresheners. Many gasses evaporating from these products are dangerous Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
- Instead, do any or all of the following:
a. Place lemon slices on a plate
b. Use baking soda to eliminate odors
c. Choose fragrance-free products, or laundry products using only natural scents
- Buy some house plants to eliminate toxins such as benzene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde. Suggestions include English ivy, a Peace lily or a Florist’s chrysanthemum.
Family Owned Since 1928
Items in Your Home that Will Save You the Most on Your Energy Bill when Replaced
August 14, 2018
If your energy bill seems out of control, there’s a good chance that you are using some inefficient appliances and other items that are respons Read more…