This past year, have you been naughty or nice to your HVAC system? Either way, resolve to be nice to it in 2023. Here are a dozen ideas.
- Change your air filter. Clean air filters are essential to having your furnace and air conditioning system run efficiently. Change one-inch filters monthly, and thicker ones at least twice a year.
- Treat your air conditioning unit and your furnace to annual tune-ups. Regular maintenance helps ensure your HVAC systems are running efficiently, and these inspections can also detect small problems that can be fixed before they become big problems. Additionally, preventative maintenance can help extend the life of your unit, and it may be required to keep your warranty valid.
- If you detect a problem, get it taken care of immediately. The longer you wait, the greater the likelihood that your HVAC unit will be severely damaged.
- Clean your air ducts. Dirty ducts send dirty air into your living space, and also reduce the efficiency of your furnace and air conditioner. While you’re at it, make sure the ducts do not have any leaks.
- Optimize air flow. Make sure your registers are not blocked by furniture.
- Invest in a Wi-Fi thermostat. You can program these devices to adjust the temperature based on time of day or even day of week. They are Wi-Fi-enabled so they can be accessed via your phone or tablet. Not only will they keep you comfortable, but they can help you drive down heating and cooling bills.
- Speaking of your thermostat, keep it set a few degrees cooler in the winter and a few degrees warmer in the summer to help slash your energy costs.
- In the winter, stay comfortable at lower temperatures by adding layers of clothing, or an extra blanket. And have the ceiling fan spin clockwise to force warm air down from the ceiling.
- In the summer, stay comfortable at higher temperatures by using ceiling fans. Also, cook outside to reduce the heat generated by the oven, stove, and microwave.
- Increase indoor air quality. There are a variety of things you can do to keep the air in your home clean. Vacuum and mop regularly. Use plants. Use natural products (not chemicals) to freshen the room. Also, consider installing air purifiers and humidifiers for the winter and dehumidifiers for the summer.
- Keep outside air outside. Make sure doors and windows are sealed to keep the cold air out in the winter and the hot air out in the summer. Also, make sure your home is properly insulated.
- Zone. If your home has more than one level, or if different members of your household have varying preferences for temperature, consider zoning your HVAC system.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Reliable HVAC Services
Ravinia Plumbing can help you with all your HVAC needs, from annual maintenance to emergency service to replacing your AC and furnace. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.