How to Save Water Inside Your Home
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: August 4, 2022
Water is one of our most precious commodities. But water usage also costs money. Here are some thoughts on how to conserve water inside your home. (For ideas on saving water outside your home, see https://raviniaplumbing.com/blog/how-to-save-water-outside/).
In the bathroom:
- Check for leaks in the toilet. Drop a few drops of food coloring into the tank. If the color seeps into the bowl, your tank is leaking, and could be wasting up to 100 gallons of water a day.
- Install a high-efficiency toilet.
- Also, check your showerheads and faucets for leaks.
- Shorten your shower. Reducing shower time by even two minutes can save up to 1,750 gallons of water per person per year.
- Shut off the water while you are shaving or brushing your teeth.
- Install low-flow showerheads and low-flush toilets. These can reduce water usage by 75%.
In the kitchen:
- If you are washing the dishes by hand, fill one side of the sink or a large container with water and use that to rinse the dishes, rather than running water. But remember it is far more efficient to use a dishwasher.
- Only use the dishwasher for full loads.
- Purchase an Energy Star-rated dishwasher which uses only three gallons of water per wash, compared to up to 27 for a regular dishwasher.
- Compost food rather than putting food waste through the garbage disposer.
- If you want cold drinking water, pour water into a pitcher and put it in the refrigerator to cool. That way you are not running water waiting for it to get cold. If you don’t want to do that, at least put ice in the glass before you turn on the faucet, so you don’t have to wait for the water to get cold.
- When you are doing laundry, only wash full loads to reduce water waste.
- Purchase an Energy Star-rated washing machine.
- Water your plants using water collected from your dehumidifier
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric about Saving Water
Ravinia Plumbing can help you save water and reduce your water bill by fixing leaks and installing water-conserving faucets and fixtures. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Visit Ravinia Plumbing today to learn more.
Family Owned Since 1928
How Does a Whole House Humidifier Work?
November 18, 2022
We’re well aware of how cold it can get in Chicago and the surrounding area during the winter. But when the cold combines with low humidity, it Read more…