Eliminating Static Electricity Shock
- Categories: Electrical
- Date: December 2, 2021
Winter brings cold weather and snow outside, so you will be spending more time indoors. Indoors, you will get drier air. And that leads to a shocking development – getting that jolt of static electricity when you touch metal. Not lethal or even injurious, but certainly an unpleasant split second.
What happens is because of the drier air, electrons stick to your body and your body builds up a charge. So, when you touch metal, the electrons flow from you into the object, creating the spark. Here are several things you can do to avoid that electric shock.
- Buy a humidifier. A humidifier moistens the air and reduces the static electricity in the air.
- Plants can also increase humidity and reduce static electricity.
- Use an anti-static treatment on carpets and rugs to prevent charges from building up between your feet and the carpet or rug.
- Rub dryer sheets over your upholstery to reduce static build up on those surfaces.
- Use cotton bedding instead of synthetics or wool.
- Put lotions or moisturizers on your skin to keep static electricity from accumulating on your body.
- Wear leather-soled shoes instead of rubber-soled shoes.
- Wear cotton clothing instead of wool or synthetic fibers such as polyester and nylon.
- Add ¼ cup of baking soda to your laundry, as baking soda acts as a barrier between positive and negative charges (and it doubles as a fabric softener).
- You can also add vinegar to the wash during the rinse cycle. Vinegar also works as a fabric softener in addition to reducing static.
- Shake your clothes when taking them out of the dryer.
- Attach a metal safety pin to the seam of your pants or back neck of your shirt.
- Run a metal hanger over your clothes to reduce the electrical charge on the clothes.
- Although it may seem counterintuitive, touch metal objects frequently to ground built-up charges.
- Better yet, carry around something metal and use those to touch a metal surface before you touch it.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Reliable Home Services
While Ravinia Plumbing cannot help you with most of the tips mentioned above, we can recommend and then install a humidifier. This will keep the air in your home moist and frankly eliminate the need for many of the other tips. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
Benefits of Insulating Your Attic
August 4, 2022
Your attic can be a great place to “store stuff.” But it plays a much more important role than that. It also shields the rest of your house f Read more…