With the weather turning warm, your air conditioner is going to be getting quite a workout over the next few months. That means higher energy bills; in fact, the U.S. government estimates that 16% of all electricity used is for cooling. So, while you do want to keep cool, let’s look at some other ways you can reduce energy costs (many of these are good ideas year-round).
Easing the Load on Your AC
- Have your cooling system tuned up.
- Change your air filters regularly. Dirty filters make your air conditioning system work harder, driving up cooling costs.
- Close the shades during the day to keep the sun’s heat from entering your home.
- Seal windows and doors to keep hot air from entering your home. Of course, that also prevents cold air from entering your home in the winter.
- Use ceiling fans, but have them rotate counterclockwise to force cool air down. But turn them off when you are not in the room, as fans cool people, not rooms.
- Make sure furniture and/or plants are not blocking vents.
- Vacuum the vents to remove dust buildup.
- Use a Wi-Fi thermostat to make the temperature a little warmer while you are asleep or away.
- Do not place lamps or TV sets near the thermostat.
- While lights do not generate that much heat, turn them off if you are not in the room.
- AC units also remove humidity in your home. To make that job easier, purchase an energy-efficient dehumidifier.
- Grill outdoors so you do not need to use the oven, which generates heat.
- Unplug any appliances you are not using.
Other Summer Energy-Saving Tips
14. Only wash full loads of dishes and clothes.
15. Use cold water instead of hot water.
16. Consider air drying as opposed to using the drier.
17. Replace your old incandescent lights with LED lights.
18. Invest in energy-efficient appliances (refrigerator, washer, drier, dishwasher, etc.)
19. Invest in energy-efficient faucets and fixtures (toilets, showerheads, etc.)
20. Set your water heater at no more than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric Can Help You Save Energy
Ravinia Plumbing’s expert heating and air conditioning technicians, electrical technicians and plumbers can help you identify ways to save energy and save money on your energy bill. We’ve been in business since 1928 (that’s 95 years!), and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable HVAC, plumbing, drain and sewer and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.