In terms of DIY projects, installing an automatic dishwasher may not be the easiest. But it is not as difficult as you might think, especially if you are comfortable with doing some simple electric wiring. You can save some money on installation, and it shouldn’t take you more than a few hours.
What You’ll Need to Install an Automatic Dishwasher
- The dishwasher (obviously)
- A Phillips head screwdriver
- Appropriately sized screws and wire nuts (which should be included with the dishwasher)
- An adjustable wrench or pliers
- Electrical tape
- Dishwasher 90 assembly (a 90-degree elbow that allows your home’s water supply tube to easily connect to the dishwasher)
Installing Your Automatic Dishwasher
- Before you do anything, open the box the dishwasher came in and make sure everything is there. Inspect the new dishwasher against the schematic.
- Turn off your home’s power.
- Turn off the water – preferably at the main line. Otherwise, at least at the sink.
- Uncap your home’s dishwasher drain line and hook it up to the dishwasher’s drain outlet.
- Crimp the metal clamp that came with the dishwasher around the drain line and thread it through the hole to your sink compartment.
- Position the dishwasher in its housing compartment, adjusting the leg height with the pliers or wrench, if necessary.
- Fasten the dishwasher to the countertop using the screws.
- Making sure you attach like colors, attach the dishwasher’s wiring to your power source.
- Screw on the wire nuts and cover them with electrical tape.
- Position the ground wire.
- Connect and tighten the dishwasher’s water supply line to the dishwasher 90.
- Attach the drain line to the sink line.
- Turn on the water and power.
- Test to make sure everything is working properly.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Your Home’s Plumbing and Electrical Needs
If you’re uncomfortable with installing an automatic dishwasher by yourself, contact the professionals at Ravinia Plumbing today. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, HVAC, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.