Improving Indoor Air Quality in the Winter
- Categories: Indoor Air Quality
- Date: February 1, 2022
With winter here, you are undoubtedly spending more time indoors to stay warm. And you’ve probably done a good job insulating your home and sealing windows and doors. That keeps your home warmer and lowers your heating bills. But that also limits the amount of fresh air circulating in your home. Moreover, that air will contain dust, pollen, mold, spores, and other harmful matter. Poor indoor air quality presents health risks, especially for people with asthma and other respiratory issues.
You cannot eliminate all the harmful matter, but there are several things you can do to improve the air quality in your home during the cold winter months.
- Have your furnace maintained annually to make sure it is running properly.
- Replace the filters in your furnace. One-inch air filters should be changed monthly, and larger filters at least twice a year. Also consider upgrading your filters with a higher filtration efficiency (MERV) rating.
- Vacuum rugs, carpets and upholstery frequently using a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
- Wipe down walls and hard floors frequently.
- Houseplants can also clean and purify the air. Areca palm, snake plant, money plant and Chinese evergreens are plants that can help improve indoor air quality.
- Avoid cleaning and personal care products that contain harsh and harmful chemicals. Instead, use more natural products.
- Have your ducts cleaned and sealed.
- Occasionally open the windows to let cleaner outside air in. Yes, that will drive up heating costs, but doing this a little bit will keep your home’s air fresh.
- Purchase an air purifier to reduce indoor air pollution.
- Install air-heat exchangers that remove stale indoor air with fresh outside air.
- Install a humidifier. In addition to increasing comfort, moist air is also healthier. Make sure humidity is set between 30% and 50%.
- Invest in an indoor air quality monitor to detect the presence of indoor air pollutants.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric to Improve Indoor Air Quality
If your home has poor air quality, contact Ravinia Plumbing today. In addition to making sure your furnace is operating at peak efficiency to distribute clear air in your home, we also offer numerous other products to improve indoor air quality. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
Benefits of Insulating Your Attic
August 4, 2022
Your attic can be a great place to “store stuff.” But it plays a much more important role than that. It also shields the rest of your house f Read more…