Conserving Water in the Bathroom
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: October 28, 2021
Did you know that about 95% of the water that enters your house goes down the drain? That not only wastes water, but it also drives up your water bill. And much of the water we use is consumed in the bathroom. Here are some things to consider to save water in the bathroom – and to keep those water bills low.
- Check your toilet for leaks by putting a few drops of food coloring in the tank. If, without flushing, the coloring enters the bowl within 10 minutes, you have a leak that is wasting water.
- Purchase more efficient toilets. Older toilets flush with 3.5 gallons of water. Multiply that by five flushes per day per person and that is 17.5 gallons. Look for toilets with a WaterSense label, meaning the average flush is 1.6 gallons. Some only use 1.28 gallons. Even at 1.6 gallons, assuming five flushes a day, you are saving 9.5 gallons.
- Bathe instead of shower. A “full tub” uses about 36 gallons of water. The average shower is eight minutes, and assuming five gallons a minute, that is still 40 gallons, or four more than a full tub.
- If you do shower, do it quicker. Some people say they do their best thinking in the shower, but that extra time leads to a lot of water. Every minute you are thinking consumes five gallons of water.
- Buy a low-flow showerhead. These use two gallons per minute, as opposed to older ones that use five gallons per minute. For the average eight-minute shower, you’ll save 24 gallons. And if you do like to think in the shower, at least you will be using less water with a water-efficient showerhead.
- Check faucets and pipes for leaks.
- When you wash your face and hands, turn off the water before drying them.
- Install a faucet-head aerator to reduce the water flow rate.
- Turn off the faucet while shaving and brushing your teeth.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric to Conserve Water in Your Bathroom
If you are interested in saving water, contact the licensed plumbing experts at Ravinia Plumbing. We can fix any leaks that are wasting water. And we will be happy to help you select and then install water-conserving items. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
The Benefits of Changing Your Furnace Filter
March 7, 2023
All HVAC systems have air filters, which need to be replaced regularly. Unfortunately, far too many homeowners often neglect this simple DIY task Read more…