How to Caulk a Bathtub
- Categories: Plumbing, Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: February 19, 2021
You know you should use a professional plumber for big jobs. But if you enjoy tackling smaller projects, occasionally there might be an opportunity for you to be a “do-it-yourselfer.” Caulking a tub is one such project. It shouldn’t cost you more than $30 to get the supplies and should take you less than two hours to do.
How to Do It
- Assemble all of your supplies. These include: silicone or acrylic latex caulk (acrylic latex caulk is harder to work with but will last longer); a plastic razor (not a regular one!); mineral spirits; a fine-threaded rag; Magic Eraser or a similar cleaning pad; scissors; and Painter’s tape
- Cut away the old caulk with the plastic razor. Remove remaining big chunks with the Magic Eraser or cleaning pad.
- Soak the fine rag with the mineral oil, and rub out any remaining caulk.
- Use the scissors to cut the tip of the caulking tube at a 45-degree angle.
- Lay down the painter’s tape on either side of the joint to be caulked.
- Apply the caulk to the joint, following the directions on the tube.
- Smooth the caulk with the damp rag. Wipe away the excess caulk.
- Remove the painter’s tape, taking care not to disturb the caulk. Use the rag to smooth again.
- Wait at least 24 hours before using the tub so the caulk can dry.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Your Home’s Plumbing Needs
If you’re uncomfortable with performing even minor plumbing repairs such as caulking your tub on your own, contact the professional plumbers at Ravinia Plumbing today. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…