There are many great benefits to becoming an electrician, from great compensation to interesting work to the respect you earn as a trusted professional. Nor is it difficult or expensive to become an electrician. Here is what you need to do to become an electrician in Illinois.
How to Become a Licensed Electrician in Illinois
You do need to be licensed to become an electrician in Illinois. There are two types of electrical licenses in Illinois: journeyman electrician and electrical contractor. Journeyman is the entry position, so let’s start there.
Journeyman electricians repair wires and install electrical control systems. They also supervise apprentice electricians. To receive a journeyman license you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Have at least four years of experience as an apprentice. To be an apprentice, as is the case with becoming a journeyman electrician, you must be 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED. You must also score at least a “C” in a high school algebra course and be physically able to perform electrical work.
There are several electrician apprenticeship programs in Illinois. Programs include:
- 500-800 hours of classroom instruction and lab-based technical training
- Four years (8,000 hours) of on-the-job experience that includes:
- Assisting electrical contractors and journeyman electricians
- Maintaining, repairing, and installing electrical systems
- Operating a company vehicle.
While these programs are not free, companies and unions that sponsor apprenticeships often pay the fees.
After you complete your apprenticeship, you can take the exam to become a journeyman electrician. The exams are administered by local governments, and you must score a 75% to pass. The cost is $100. Subjects on the test include:
- Local electrical requirements
- Electrical wire safety
- OSHA regulations
- Fire detection and alarm systems
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric about Becoming a Licensed Electrician
If you are interested in obtaining an Illinois electrical license, Ravinia Plumbing is interested in talking with you. We offer interesting work, excellent compensation, and opportunities for advancement. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Visit Ravinia Plumbing today to learn more or check out our careers page to view our current openings.