Energy Saving Tips for Winter
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: September 22, 2017
As we write this blog, the temps are nearing 90. But we know that cooler (i.e., colder) air is on the way. So before it gets here, let’s review some tips you can use to save energy (and money on your utility bills when (not if) the weather turns colder (note that many of these tips are appropriate for summer too).
- Starting with the obvious one, have your furnace maintained.
- To keep the furnace running smoothly, replace the filter as needed.
- Prevent cold air from sneaking in your home by repairing any cracks in doors and windows. You can also put a heavy duty, clear plastic wrap over your windows for extra protection. Better yet, install Energy Star doors and windows.
- Related to this, keep the curtains and drapes open during the day so your home can be warmed by the sun. Then close them at night.
- Speaking of leaks, seal the air leaks around cut-throughs for pipes, gaps around chimneys and recessed lights
- Use a programmable thermostat that you can set to lower the temperature when you are not home and raise it when you are.
- If you do not have a programmable thermostat, set your thermostat as low as possible when you are home and awake. When you are asleep or out of the house, turn the thermostat down.
- If you have ceiling fans, you can reverse the motion and rotate the blades clockwise, which forces cold air up and warmer air down.
- Fireplaces are great. But when you are not using it, make sure the damper is closed.
- If you do not use the fireplace, seal the chimney flue.
- Use LED holiday lights. OK, this does not directly relate to keeping your home warm, but LED lights are significantly more efficient than standard incandescent lights. ()
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Lower your water heater temperature.
Family Owned Since 1928
The Key Benefits of Professional Drain Cleaning Services
October 17, 2019
Drains - sewer, storm, and floor - do their job quietly, often unnoticed by you. But when they become clogged, they make their presence known. Pl Read more…