Electric New Year’s Resolutions
- Categories: Electrical
- Date: December 22, 2021
With 2022 almost here, you may be putting together your New Year’s resolutions. While you are contemplating, here are 12 resolutions you can make regarding your electrical systems.
- Have a whole-house electrical inspection. A licensed electrician can inspect your electrical system to make sure it is functioning appropriately. The inspection can also identify small problems that you can have fixed before they become large problems.
- Replace your antiquated incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient LED light bulbs. They cost more to begin with, but they use 75% less electricity and last 35-50 times longer. They also generate very little heat.
- Make sure you have ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) outlets in areas that can be exposed to water such as the kitchen and the bathroom.
- Test your GFCI outlets monthly. Put it in your calendar to make sure you don’t forget. It only takes a few seconds. Press the test/reset button to make sure the outlets trip and reset correctly.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. They need to be replaced at least annually and should be tested monthly.
- Replace them if necessary. Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years. Older carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced every three years; newer ones every five to six years.
- Protect yourself against power surges. Worst case power surges are a fire hazard. Even if that does not happen, a power surge can destroy electronic devices, and cause you to lose important documents, photos, music, and other essential content. A whole-house surge protector can ensure main zone surge protection. You can also install multi-outlet surge protectors for additional protection.
- Protect yourself against power outages. Install a standby generator that will turn on automatically whenever your home loses power. Make sure you have it maintained as well.
- Reduce energy consumption by shutting down computers, turning off lights, and unplugging appliances when not in use.
- Even though using an electric blanket can allow you to set the thermostat lower and reduce heating bills, improper use can cause a fire. So only operate the blanket at night at the lowest setting. And make sure to turn it off when not in use.
- Clean up dust bunnies around appliances and electrical cords. They are a fire hazard.
- Make your home “smart.” Wi-Fi enabled lighting, thermostats, cameras, etc. can add convenience and security to your home, while also reducing energy costs.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Reliable Electrical Services
Ravinia Plumbing can help you with all your electrical system needs, from annual maintenance to emergency service to installing standby generators and “smart” devices in your home. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Learn more ways to save on the services you need.
Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*
For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings
24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565
Family Owned Since 1928
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Types of Bathtubs
March 26, 2023
If you are building a new house, you have lot of decisions to make in every room, including the bathroom. And if you are just remodeling a bathro Read more…