2023 is just around the corner. You can tell with, among other things, the holiday lights around the neighborhood…using electricity. And speaking of electricity, here are 12 New Year’s resolutions you can make regarding your electrical systems.
- Turn the lights off when you aren’t in the room. Nothing could be simpler.
- And…use dimmers if you don’t need the lights at full strength.
- And…toss those old incandescent lights and install LED lights. They use 75% less energy and last 35 to 50 times longer. They also generate very little heat, thus reducing the risk of an electrical fire.
- Consider other energy-saving ideas such as unplugging electronics and electric appliances when not in use.
- Also, if you are buying new appliances, look for those with an Energy Star rating.
- Reset Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlets in areas with moisture such as the bathroom and kitchen. You really should do this every month, but the New Year is a great time to do it. Just press the
- test/reset button to make sure the outlets trip and reset.
- Install a whole house surge protector to guard against power surges that can destroy electronic devices and potentially even start a fire.
- Also, consider a standby generator to protect your home and your possessions in case your house loses power for a significant amount of time.
- Check extension cords and replace them if they are damaged.
- If your electric control panel is decades old, consider replacing it.
- Even though using an electric blanket can allow you to set the thermostat lower and reduce heating bills, improper use can cause a fire. So only operate the blanket at night at the lowest setting. And make sure
- to turn it off when not in use.
- Clean up dust bunnies around appliances and electrical cords. They are a fire hazard.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Reliable Electrical Services
Ravinia Plumbing can help you with all your electrical system needs, from annual maintenance to emergency service to installing standby generators and “smart” devices in your home. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.