How Much Does a Ductless Mini-Split Cost to Operate?
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: December 2, 2021
Are you looking for an energy-efficient alternative to your home’s traditional HVAC system to save money on your monthly energy bill? If so, consider having a ductless mini-split heating and cooling system installed in your home.
Keep reading to learn more about how ductless mini-split units work and the savings associated with them. For all of your home’s heating and cooling needs, contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric.
How Do Ductless Mini-Split HVAC Systems Work?
A ductless mini-split heat pump is similar to a traditional heat pump, but a ductless system, just as its name suggests, doesn’t require ductwork to heat and cool a home. Instead of using a centralized furnace or air handler to push air into the home’s ductwork, a mini-split system uses one or more indoor air handlers to distribute conditioned air into rooms.
The air handlers are mounted on the walls of rooms and are connected to an outside heat pump, or air conditioner (for cooling-only units). During the winter months, the heat pump absorbs heat from the outside air and distributes it through the air handlers. During the warmer months, ductless mini-split systems work just like traditional air conditioners by using refrigerant to absorb that heat indoors and transporting it outside.
How Much Do Ductless Mini-Splits Cost to Operate?
Ductless mini-split air conditioners and heating systems offer greater energy efficiency than most other types of HVAC systems. According to Energy Star, ductless mini-split heat pumps use 60% less energy than a standard electric resistance-based heating system. When used as a cooling system, a ductless unit can cut cooling costs by as much as 30%.
Even more savings are found due to the fact there are no ducts. It’s estimated that a forced-air HVAC system can lose up to 30% of its conditioned air through leaky ductwork. So when you add up all of these savings, it’s clear that a ductless mini-split unit can save homeowners money through lower energy costs.
Other Benefits of a Ductless Mini-Split Heat Pump
We mentioned the energy savings associated with a ductless heat pump, but there are even more advantages to installing one of these systems in your home.
- Avoiding ductwork. Aside from losing air through leaks, ductwork is bulky and expensive to install. If you’re looking to heat or cool a garage or new addition to your home without the use of ducts, a ductless mini-split system is a great option.
- Provides both heating and cooling. A ductless mini-split heat pump can be used year-round to heat and cool your home. It’s important to note, though, that ductless heat pumps don’t operate as efficiently when temperatures drop below freezing, which occurs frequently in the Chicago area. In cold-weather climates, it’s a good idea to pair your ductless heat pump with a gas furnace.
- Different climate zones. As many as eight indoor air handlers can be attached to a single outdoor unit. Each room, or “zone,” can be controlled independently. So if one family member enjoys a warmer room while sleeping, and you prefer it cooler, both of you can win by setting the temperature in your zone to your ideal preference.
- Fewer repairs. Ductless air conditioning and heating systems are less likely to break down because of their simplistic structure. HVAC technicians will have an easier time working on one zone compared to an HVAC system that sprawls through a home.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Ductless Mini-Split Installation
If you’ve liked what you’ve heard about ductless mini-split HVAC systems, then give the professionals at Ravinia Plumbing a call today. We’d be happy to tell you more about ductless systems and schedule an appointment for installation. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
Benefits of Insulating Your Attic
August 4, 2022
Your attic can be a great place to “store stuff.” But it plays a much more important role than that. It also shields the rest of your house f Read more…