More Electrical Terms to Know
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: March 3, 2022
Last month we provided you with a primer on some of the more common electrical terms used to measure components of electricity. Here are some other electrical terms and definitions you may hear bandied about.
- Service box. This is the main electrical panel that distributes electricity through your home via fuses or, more likely, circuit breakers. Every circuit starts and ends in the service box. It is also referred to as a service panel or, if your house still has fuses, the fuse box.
- Circuit breaker. Circuit breakers, located in the service box, stop the flow of electricity through a circuit when there is an excess amount going through it. If an electrical circuit breaker trips, if just needs to be switched on. This is unlike a fuse, which would need to be replaced.
- Fuse. This is a wire or strip of metal in the fuse box that melts and interrupts the circuit when there is an excess amount going through it. “Blown” fuses need to be replaced.
- Conduit. This is the casing electrical wires are run inside of that connect the service box to the individual outlets and connected appliances throughout the structure. They protect the wiring and prevent shock to people near them.
- Ground. An electrical connection to the earth.
- Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI). A fast-acting circuit breaker designed to shut off electrical power in the event of a ground-fault within as little as 1/40 of a second. For your home to be up to code, working GFCI outlets must be installed in your bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms and all other wet or damp locations.
- Surge. A short burst of electricity that can cause circuit breakers to trip.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Electrical Needs
Ravinia Plumbing can help you with all your electrical needs, from installing and repairing electrical systems to standby generators to smart devices. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
Benefits of Wi-Fi Thermostats
December 5, 2022
While Wi-Fi (or “smart”) thermostats have been around for a while, still less than 50% of U.S. homes have them. But many more are considering Read more…