Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - Ravinia Plumbing
Google Rating
4.7

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a silent, odorless, invisible killer. More than 400 Americans a year die from it, and more than 20,000 Americans will visit the emergency room due to it.

One danger of carbon monoxide is it is difficult to recognize because the symptoms are similar to the symptoms you might suffer from the common cold or flu. These include:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Headache
  • Feelings of confusion

Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous for infants, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with ailments such as emphysema, asthma or heart disease.

Here are a few things you can do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

  1. Install carbon monoxide detectors at every level of your house and outside every sleeping area. Test the alarms once a month. It is possible for you to connect the alarms together, so if one detects trouble they all go off. You can now even get wireless detectors that connect to your WiFi so you can be made aware of a problem when you are not at home. Some also connect with your smoke alarms.
  2. Have annual preventative maintenance performed on all gas-fired equipment. These include your heating system, water heater, chimney (if you have a fireplace) and any other fuel-burning appliances such as gas stoves, cooktops and clothes driers.
  3. Make sure the flue is open when you use your fireplace.
  4. If you have an emergency generator (and given the frequency of power outages in Chicago’s North Shore, we suggest you do), put it outside the house at least 20 feet from windows or doors. Do not put it in your garage or basement.
  5. Only use charcoal grills and camp stoves outside.
  6. Only use space heaters when someone is awake and ensure there is airflow in and out of the room.
  7. Do not use a gas oven or cooktop for heat. But do make sure they are properly vented.
  8. Do not leave a vehicle running in your garage, even with the garage door open.

Finally, if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, leave your house immediately and call the fire department. If you are experiencing symptoms, go to the emergency room.

Click here for more information.

Learn more ways to save on the services you need.



Recommended By 95% Of Our Customers.*

For more information, go to Reviews and Ratings

 

24/7 EMERGENCY SERVICE 847-579-5565

Family Owned Since 1928

Contact:

Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric
575 Bond St,
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
License #055-003586

Latest Blog:

Benefits of Insulating Your Attic

August 4, 2022

Your attic can be a great place to “store stuff.” But it plays a much more important role than that. It also shields the rest of your house f Read more…

*Based on research conducted January - December 2021

Reviews Badge 1
Call Now ButtonCall Us Now