Back in the day (just a few years ago), programmable thermostats not connected to the Internet were all the rage. But they were hard to program, and of course did not reap the benefits of Internet connectivity. Today the world is different. Programmable Wi-Fi (aka “smart”) thermostats offer many benefits, described below.
Note: Before you buy a Wi-Fi thermostat, make sure it is compatible with your furnace. If you are buying a new furnace, get the thermostat at the same time.
Benefits of Wi-Fi Thermostats
- They save you money: ENERGY STAR estimates you can save 8% on your heating and cooling bills every year by investing in a Wi-Fi thermostat. Over time, that will more than offset the increased cost of such a thermostat. Here is how smart thermostats can save you money.
- You can preset the thermostat to specific temperatures depending on time of day, day of week, etc. You can also program it to set temperatures when you are away.
- Because they are smart, these thermostats sense and learn. Smart thermostats make adjustments based on factors such as outside temperature, how long it takes to cool your home, and whether it thinks you are home or away. Many have movement sensors so they can make adjustments based upon your habits or when you are in specific rooms. Many others use geofencing to sense where your smartphone is and determine whether to adjust the temperature.
- They make you more comfortable: Because you have preset the temperature to what you want it to be, you can rest assured that you will always be comfortable.
- Easy to use: You’re sitting in your home and you feel a little warm (or a little cool). Simply open the app on your smartphone and adjust the temperature until you are comfortable. And, of course, this functionality also lets you set the temperature when you are not at home, as long as you have an Internet connection.
- Control humidity: Your thermostat can monitor the humidity in your home and adjust to prevent excessive dryness and mold growth. This will improve the quality of the air you breathe, making it healthier.
- Environmentally friendly: Because smart thermostats help you reduce energy consumption, you are helping the environment.
- Stay in control: Whether you are home or away, your thermostat can send alerts on important things such as:
- Filter changes
- Maintenance needs
- Temperature trends
- Energy use
- Power outages
- System failure
- Your smart thermostat can be integrated with other smart functionality in your home, including smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, etc. They can also integrate with smart home assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home.
- Energy rebates: You may be eligible for an energy rebate that can reduce the price of the thermostat.
- Extend your HVAC system’s life: Because the smart thermostat reduces the strain on your HVAC system, it will extend the life.
- Improve your home’s resale value: Going forward, home purchasers will expect to see smart thermostats, as well as other smart devices, in the home they purchase.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for “Smart” Thermostats
Ravinia Plumbing’s HVAC technicians can recommend and then install a “smart” thermostat separate from or along with a furnace. We’ve been in business since 1928 (that’s 95 years), and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.