While it is still summer out and we are enjoying the warm weather, there are definitely signs fall is coming. The days are getting shorter. Football training has begun. And schools are back in session.
That also means you should start preparing for the change of the seasons – starting with getting your furnace tuned up. Here are the benefits of a furnace tune up, and what you can expect your contractor to do:
Benefits of a Furnace Tune Up
Keep your family safe. Perhaps the most critical benefit of routine furnace maintenance is it will detect gas leaks and potentially lethal carbon monoxide leaks.
- Save on heating bills. A tuned up furnace is a more efficient furnace. In fact, you can reduce your heating bills up to 30% if your heating system is properly maintained.
- Keep your family healthy. A furnace that is not working properly will distribute dust and other allergens into your home, leading to poor indoor air quality. That can cause problems for everybody, but especially for people with asthma, allergies and other respiratory issues.
- Extend the life of your furnace. A furnace that is checked regularly and runs more
- efficiently will also last longer. A new heating system is a major investment, and while it is one everybody needs to eventually make, routine maintenance can delay the need to replace it.
- Fix small problems before they become big ones. An HVAC system inspection can detect small problems that can easily and inexpensively be fixed before they become big problems that are expensive to fix or may even necessitate the need for a new furnace.
- Identify major problems. Of course, the inspection might uncover major problems indicating it is time for a new furnace. It’s better to know that before the furnace fails in the frigid winter.
- Maintain your warranty. Many manufacturers stipulate that you must have your furnace tuned up regularly to keep the warranty valid.
- Keep your family comfortable. A properly maintained heating unit distributes air evenly throughout the house, so your family members can be comfortable wherever they are. Now that you have a properly maintained furnace, you can spend the cold winter months in a comfortable house.
What a Furnace Tune Up Should Include
When you schedule heating system maintenance, here is what you should expect the contractor to do:
- Test starting capabilities
- Test blower components
- Check amp draw of motors
- Test heating cycle
- Inspect and clean burners
- Inspect heat exchanger
- Inspect wiring and electrical connections
- Vacuum inside of unit
- Check the thermostat
- Check the air filter
- Check safety controls
- Check air flow
- Check condensate drain
- Check exhaust vent piping
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Furnace Tune Ups
Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric maintains and repairs all brands of furnaces and heating systems. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact us to schedule annual furnace maintenance (hint: call fast, as our schedule fills up quickly).