The Why’s and What’s of AC Tune Ups
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: May 5, 2022
It’s that time of year again. The grass is growing. The flowers are blooming. The snowblower’s put away. The patio furniture is uncovered. And yes, it’s time to get your air conditioner ready for summer. Here is why you need to take care of it, and what we do.
Why Do I Need an AC Tune Up?
Here are just a few reasons.
- More comfort. A tuned-up AC unit will operate more efficiently. That greater efficiency translates into a more comfortable home.
- Reliability. A well-maintained cooling system is less likely to break down during one of those sweltering summer days.
- Improved air quality. An air conditioner tune up will ensure the air coming into your home is clean, resulting in both comfort and health benefits.
- Lower utility costs. A more efficient system translates into lower cooling bills.
- Save repair money. A tune up will identify small problems that are relatively inexpensive to fix before they become larger problems that are either more expensive to repair or, worst case, will require you to purchase a new system.
- Extend the AC’s life. Regular air conditioner tune ups will extend the life of your unit. The longer you can put off that hefty investment in a new system, the better.
- Warranty protection. The warranty on many AC units requires you to have regular maintenance performed. You don’t want to risk voiding your warranty by not having a tune up.
What’s Included in an AC Tune Up?
Here is what we do when we perform an air conditioning system tune up:
- Change the air filter.
- Check electrical components, including tightening electrical connections.
- Check amp draw on the condenser fan motor and the furnace blower motor. This ensures the motors are operating within the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Check refrigerant levels to maximize efficiency and the life of the HVAC system.
- Test safety controls to make sure the AC system starts, runs, and shuts off properly.
- Test operation of all equipment.
- Check the condensate drain to make sure it is open at the time of service. A clogged condensate drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check thermostat settings so you can be comfortable when you are home and save energy when you are not.
- Check for proper airflow.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for AC Tune Ups
Ravinia Plumbing’s expert heating and cooling system technicians can tune up your air conditioning unit so it operates efficiently and reliably in the scorching summer months. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule an appointment.
Family Owned Since 1928
Benefits of Wi-Fi Thermostats
December 5, 2022
While Wi-Fi (or “smart”) thermostats have been around for a while, still less than 50% of U.S. homes have them. But many more are considering Read more…