What’s Included in an AC Maintenance Checklist?
- Categories: Cooling
- Date: January 17, 2023
In our most recent blog, the HVAC technicians at Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric discuss the benefits of regular air conditioner maintenance and what’s typically included in this service.
Why Do I Need an AC Tune Up?
A few reasons it’s important to have your AC unit tuned up once a year include:
A tuned-up air conditioning system will operate more efficiently and provide more even, powerful cooling across your entire home. That greater efficiency translates into a more comfortable home for your family.
A well-maintained cooling system is also less likely to break down during one of those sweltering summer days. This means you won’t have to sweat it out in a hot, muggy home for hours or days until you can get the unit repaired or replaced.
Improved Air Quality
An air conditioner tune up will ensure the air coming into your home is clean, resulting in both comfort and health benefits. A properly maintained AC unit is also tasked with dehumidifying indoor air so your home won’t be muggy during the hot summer months.
Lower Utility Costs
A more efficient system will run less often to reach the desired temperature set on your thermostat, translating into lower cooling bills.
Save on Repair Costs
A tune up will identify small problems that are relatively inexpensive to fix before they become larger problems that are either more expensive to repair or, worst case, will require you to purchase a new system.
Extend the AC’s Lifespan
Regular air conditioner tune ups will extend the life of your unit. The longer you can put off that hefty investment in a new system, the better.
The warranty on many AC units requires you to have regular maintenance performed. You don’t want to risk voiding your warranty by not having a tune up.
What’s Included in an Air Conditioning Maintenance Tune Up?
Here is what we do when we perform an air conditioning system tune up:
- Check the condition of the air filter and change it, if necessary.
- Check electrical components, including tightening electrical connections.
- Check amp draw on the condenser fan motor and the furnace blower motor. This ensures the motors are operating within the manufacturer’s specifications.
- Check refrigerant levels to maximize efficiency and the life of the HVAC system.
- Test safety controls to make sure the AC system starts, runs, and shuts off properly.
- Test operation of all equipment.
- Check the condensate drain to make sure it is open at the time of service. A clogged condensate drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
- Check thermostat settings so you can be comfortable when you are home and save energy when you are not.
- Check for proper airflow.
Enroll in Ravinia Plumbing’s Home Care Club
Enrolling in our Home Care Club is the best way to ensure your air conditioner or heating system is in tip-top shape. For a low monthly fee, you’ll receive the following benefits and more:
- The repair warranty increased from 30 to 90 days
- The installation warranty increased from one year to two years
- Free annual visual plumbing inspection
- 10% off our regular prices
- No standard service charge (usually $69) if we come to your home, provide a quote, and then do the work during regular business hours.
- During non-business hours, pay only the standard service charge (currently $69); not the emergency service charge (currently $189)
- Expedited service for HCC members for plumbing, HVAC and electric emergencies
- Email service reminders
Contact Ravinia Plumbing for AC Tune Ups
Ravinia Plumbing’s expert heating and cooling system technicians can tune up your air conditioning unit, so it operates efficiently and reliably in the scorching summer months. We’ve been in business since 1928, and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating and air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to schedule professional HVAC maintenance.
Family Owned Since 1928
How Wi-Fi Thermostats “Learn”
February 3, 2023
You already know the basics of how Wi-Fi – or “smart" – thermostats work. You can pre-set the temperature and modify it via your mobile pho Read more…