Cool weather has arrived. That means cold weather is not too far off. Air conditioner off. Furnace on. Is it time for a new furnace? The time to answer that question is now because you don’t need a Furnace fail in the dead of winter when it is bitter cold out. Here are some signs you may need a new furnace.
- The furnace is just old. Nothing lasts forever, including your furnace. The expected life of a furnace is about 15 years, and less if you have not properly maintained it. You should know how old your furnace is because the purchase date is either affixed to the unit or you have the receipt. If your furnace is getting on in age, it might make sense to bite the bullet now.
- Another sure sign you have a problem is if the furnace is blowing cold air.
- Frequent cycling. If your furnace is constantly cycling on or off, or stays on constantly, that could be an indication the furnace is not working properly.
- Heating bills are rising. If your heating bills have been rising the last few years, that could be a sign that your unit’s internal parts are wearing out and your furnace is beginning to fail. Of course, if this is the only sign among those listed you may want to check that your air ducts are properly sealed.
- Frequent repairs. If the furnace repairs are becoming more frequent and more expensive, ask yourself how much more money you want to throw at that old unit before investing in a new one.
- Strange noises. While some noises are common, if your furnace is making rattling, popping, or banging noises, that is a sign it is nearing the end of its life.
- Yellow burner flame. The burner flame should be blue. If it is yellow, that is a sign your furnace could be producing lethal carbon monoxide. This should be checked immediately.
- Rust, corrosion, or cracks. If your furnace has rust or cracks, that is another sign it should be replaced.
- Dirt and dust. If your furnace is emitting dirt and dust into the air, that is not a good thing. You don’t want poor air quality in your home.