How to Clean a Faucet
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: February 28, 2017
A good plumber (like us) can make sure water flows from your faucet, and we can make sure it goes down the drain without clogging or leaking.
With your faucets working, you will want them to look nice. Faucets collect grime. Additionally, a dull faucet will appear dirty even if it is sanitized. This also creates the impression that the sink is dirty.
So it is really important to keep your faucets clean. But this is no easy task. They can be hard to clean because of their awkward shape and finish. And you not only need to use the right technique, but also the right products. Use the wrong products, and you can scratch the faucet and/or cause it to lose its finish. So here are some tips
- The type of product you use to clean the faucet is dependent on the type of faucet you have. You are generally safe using products like Comet Bathroom Cleaner, Fantastik Antibacterial Heavy Duty, or Windex Original. Avoid cleaners containing ammonia, bleach, acid or abrasives (even though some finishes may tolerate those components, we would advise against it).
a. Note that, believe it or not, spraying a copper or stainless steel faucet with cola could work. Brass and bronze faucets can be cleaned with a mixture of vinegar, salt and all-purpose flour.
- Use a soft cloth or the soft side of a damp sponge to clean the faucet. Scrub the base, handle and neck thoroughly.
- For areas of the faucet that are particularly grimy, apply some baking soda to a toothbrush and gently “brush.” A drop of water or two might help.
If you want to be really obsessive, take a piece of dental floss and use it to clear grime between the cracks of the faucet.
- Rinse the faucet thoroughly with water.
- Use a soft cloth to wipe the faucet dry. Blot dry the water to avoid staining. Do not use an abrasive or rubbing action. Then buff dry the faucet to make it shine and look like new.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Different Types of Light Bulbs
August 21, 2017
Last month, we talked with you about some common light bulb terminology. This month we want to share with you the different types of light bulb Read more…