When to Replace Your Hot Water Heater
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: February 13, 2013
Too often, people realize they need to replace their hot water heater when they step into the shower, bleary-eyed, first thing in the morning, and are greeted with an icy cold torrent. Sure that wakes them up, but it also wakes them up to the fact that they likely need a new hot water heater.
To avoid that Arctic assault, the obvious correct move is to replace the heater before it breaks. Here are a few things to consider.
1. Know how old your hot water heater is. You can expect it to last up to 15 years. So if it is getting up there in years, you might want to be proactive and replace it even if it seems to be working fine.
2. How does it feel? Your hot water heater is probably broken if you turn on the water expecting hot water, but it is ice cold.
3. How long does it stay hot? If you notice the water is turning cold quicker than it used to, that is another indication it may be time to replace your unit.
4. Pooling water. If there is standing water around the hot water tank, or a stream of water running from the tank to the floor drain, that could indicate a major leak and the need for a new heater.
5. Check the fittings and connections. If there is water, sludge, or corrosion, that could also indicate a leak.
6. Use your ears. Yes, your ears. If the hot water heater is making clanging noises or popping sounds, there may be a problem.
Of course, if you aren’t sure, call us. We’ll be happy to come out and take a look at your hot water heater, and advise you on the proper action to take.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
April 24, 2018
If you’re like most people, you want and need that hot shower in the morning to clear the cobwebs. Undoubtedly, you know that you need th Read more…