After a particularly blistering summer and relatively pleasant fall, it’s time to hunker down for winter. The furnace will be working hard, and the colder it gets, the harder it will work and the higher your utility bills will climb.
So here are some tips on reducing your energy costs. First, we will start with ways to keep your heating bill down, and then we will provide some additional energy tips. Of course, as you read this, keep in mind many of these tips are applicable throughout the year.
Reducing Your Heating Bills
- Make sure your furnace is properly maintained. That means a professional tune-up, and changing the filter as needed.
- Make sure the vents are not blocked by furniture so the warm air can be distributed throughout the home. In rooms you do not use, close the vents.
- Invest in a smart (Wi-Fi programmable) thermostat.
- Wear extra layers of clothing during the day and add a blanket at night. The warmer you are, the lower you can set your thermostat.
- Make sure your doors and windows are properly sealed to prevent cold air from sneaking into your home. Weatherstripping and caulk are cost-effective ways to do this.
- Use your ceiling fan, which will force hot air down. But the fan only warms people; turn it off when you are not in the room.
- Keep drapes, blinds, etc. open during the day to let the sun warm your house. Close them at night.
- If you have a fireplace, take an extra second and close the damper when you are done using it.
- Make sure your attic, crawl space, etc. are properly insulated.
Other Energy-Saving Ideas
- Invest in ENERGY STAR appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers.
- Only wash full loads in the washing machine and dishwasher.
- Try to use cold water when washing clothes.
- Use LED lights instead of the traditional incandescent bulbs you are used to. They may cost a little more but are more energy efficient and will last much longer.
- Adjust your water heater’s temperature. You should be okay keeping it set at 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Turn your holiday lights off with a timer.
- When you leave a room, turn off the lights and electronics.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric to Reduce Energy Costs
Ravinia Plumbing’s plumbing, HVAC, and electrical technicians can help you save money on your energy bills. We can service your existing products to ensure they are operating at maximum efficiency and can help you select more energy-efficient products as well. We’ve been in business since 1928 (that’s 95 years!), and we’ve made a name for ourselves as one of the most trusted and reliable plumbing, sewer, heating, air conditioning, and electrical companies in Chicagoland. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.