10 Common Plumbing Problems
Drip, drip, drip. No matter how tightly you turn the handle, the faucet keeps dripping. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. You jiggle the handle, but the toilet keeps running. These sounds are not music to the ears; they signal two of the most common plumbing problems.
In our most recent blog, the plumbers at Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric discuss some of the most common plumbing problems to look out for in your Chicago area home.
Common Plumbing Problems to Watch Out For
If you recognize any of the following issues, consider calling a licensed professional plumber to address them for you.
- Leaky Pipes – Water pipes may begin to leak at joints, leaving a puddle under a pipe.
- Dripping Faucets – Ignoring a dripping faucet adds unnecessary costs to your water bill. A damaged or worn washer or cartridge inside the dripping faucet often causes the plumbing problem and must be replaced.
- Slow Drains – Partially or completely clogged toilet, sink, shower, or tub drains will release water slowly. Slow drains are often a sign that the drain will eventually completely stop releasing water. Drain cleaning service might help at first, but if the slow drain issue persists, there might be underlying issues.
- Running Toilets – You may need to adjust or replace the fill valve, replace the flapper, or replace the flush valve that controls the flow of water from the tank to the bowl. A running toilet can be annoying but also lead to more serious issues down the road.
- Low Water Pressure – When water trickles rather than streams from your showerheads or faucets, you have a low water pressure problem. Sediment builds up on aerators, which are small screens located in faucets and showerheads. Old galvanized steel pipes rust internally. Or you may have a leak in the pipes between your home and the water main that will need repair services.
- Jammed Garbage Disposal – Dropping foreign objects into the disposal or attempting to dispose of the wrong food items such as any fibrous peels, or even running the disposal without running enough water, can jam the appliance.
- Faulty Water Heater – Your pilot light may be out or mineral deposits may have built up in your heater. A faulty thermostat, thermocouple, or pilot light can contribute to a faulty water heater, too.
- Sewer System Backup – A slow or clogged sewer line can cause sewage to back up and out of toilets, tubs, showers, or floor drains. Putting feminine hygiene products, wipes, or grease in toilets or sinks causes blockages. Tree roots also can invade or crush pipes, and older sewer lines may collapse. When blocked sewer lines have developed, they can become very costly to fix.
- Overflowing Toilet – If the water continues to rise in the bowl when you flush the toilet, you likely have a clog in the toilet or in the pipe leading to the main sewer line.
- Burst Pipes – When water pipes become exposed to very cold temperatures, the water inside the pipes may freeze. The frozen water expands and puts water pressure on the pipes, causing them to burst. Pipe corrosion can cause pipes that vibrate when faucets are turned on and off, which can wear and burst.
No matter the common plumbing problem that comes your way, call a plumber for Ravinia for fast and effective service.
Ravinia Plumbing Provides Full Plumbing Inspections
One of the easiest ways to keep your home’s entire plumbing system in tip-top shape is by contacting Ravinia Plumbing for a whole home plumbing inspection. We recommend having your plumbing system inspected about every two years or whenever you notice a plumbing issue. Call a plumber to have a thorough inspection performed.
This service includes a visual inspection of the plumbed-in products in your home. Our plumbers can catch small issues before they lead to bigger, more expensive repairs and can recommend the repairs that are needed. Check out our coupons page for discounts on plumbing services.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing, Sewer, Heating & Electric for Your Home’s Plumbing Needs
Some common plumbing problems are just annoying, but many of these issues can also cause costly damage to your home and plumbing systems. Slow or clogged drains, for example, can at first just seem to be annoying, but can quickly lead to serious damage.
Contact Ravinia Plumbing today to assess and solve the plumbing problem before major damage occurs. From sump pump failure to dripping faucets that run all night, our team can help. Our licensed plumbers are expertly trained to handle any plumbing job – big or small – and can restore your plumbing fixtures in no time.
Family Owned Since 1928
How to Tell If Your AC Is Short Cycling
July 16, 2021
Summers in Lincolnshire, IL and Chicago can be hot and humid, which is why you need a reliable air conditioning system to provide relief during t Read more…