Spring Cleaning Tips
- Categories: Cleaning Tips
- Date: March 25, 2016
Spring cleaning generally means doing a thorough cleaning of the house once winter is over. We suggest you expand the definition and use the advent of spring as a reason to go through your house and make sure all your plumbing is in working order.
Some of these tips are especially important in the spring, as they can prevent floods when those April showers come. Others are just generally good ideas.
First, some thoughts that can specifically help prevent floods.
- Pour water down your sump pump to make sure it operates properly. The pump should turn on, discharge the water, and shut down.
- If you do not have a battery backup sump pump, consider buying one. It is a small price to pay if your electricity goes out during a storm and your main pump won’t operate.
- Make sure your gutters and downspouts are clear.
- Have your sewer line rodded.
- If your hose faucet(s) froze over the winter, turning them on can cause a flood in your basement. Have someone in the basement look for water when you turn the faucet on for the first time. If it leaks in the basement, it will need to be replaced.
And now some general plumbing tips.
- Check for leaky faucets, shower heads, etc.
- Check toilets for leaks. Add a few drops of food coloring into the toilet tank. If the toilet is leaking, color will appear in the the bowl after 10 minutes.
- Make sure your toilets flush properly. If you have to hold the handle for a thorough flush or jiggle to stop the water from running, you may need to replace worn parts.
- Make sure the temperature on you water heater is set no higher than 120 degrees F. This will prevent scalding and reduce energy use and costs.
- Drain several gallons from the water heaters to flush out corrosion causing sediment.
- If your water heater is more than 15 years old, consider replacing it.
- Pour water down infrequently used drains to fill the trap and prevent odors from entering the home.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Spray Foam Insulation
October 18, 2017
While we are all familiar with standard fiberglass insulation, there is a more efficient type of insulation. It is called spray foam insulation Read more…