Heating and Cooling Resolutions for the New Year
Last time we shared some plumbing resolutions for the New Year. Now let’s share some heating and cooling resolutions.
- Replace your air filters monthly (4” thick filters are changed twice a year). Dirty air filters can cause your system to break down.
- Have your system maintained twice – once before summer for air conditioning and once before winter for your furnace or boiler. Your system will run more efficiently, and you can take care of minor problems before they become major problems.
- Keep your outdoor condenser free of debris. Gently spray the fins and coils inside the condenser with a hose. Never place anything on top of it, and do not cover it.
- Install a programmable thermostat. You can save up to 10% on your heating and cooling costs by doing so.
- Keep the thermostat set a few degrees lower in the winter and higher in the summer. That can have a significant impact on costs.
- Switch to Energy Star appliances. They are much better for the environment, and can substantially lower your energy costs. Consider Energy Star windows too.
- Have your ducts cleaned. Dirty ducts mean dirty air, which is unhealthy and wastes energy.
- Also make sure there are no kinks in the duct system.
- Move any couches or other furniture that are blocking registers.
- Seal your windows to keep warm air out in the summer and cold air in the winter.
- Install attic and ceiling fans.
- Cut back on energy use by taking shorter showers, and only washing full loads of laundry and dishes.
- Schedule an energy audit. A professional can point out ways to make your energy use more efficient, and reduce your bills.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Water Shutoff Valves
June 26, 2017
Do you know where your main water shutoff valve is?If not, you could be headed for trouble. Here’s why. Water damage from pipe leaks can ca Read more…