Heating and Cooling Resolutions for 2016
Happy New Year. We know you made many New Year’s resolutions for this year. Exercise and losing weight seem to appear on most lists. So do travel and spending more time with family and friends. But do your New Year’s resolutions include things to improve your heating and cooling systems to make them run more efficiently, lower energy costs and make your house more comfortable?
We thought not. Therefore, here are some simple resolutions.
- Install a programmable thermostat. It will automatically adjust the temperature when you are asleep or not home, thus saving on energy costs.
- Change the air filters in your furnace. One or 2 inch thick filters must be changed once a month. Thick media filters are changed once in the spring and once in the winter.
- In the winter, open window shades, blinds, curtains, etc. during the day to let the sun warm your home. In the summer, keep them closed to keep the hot sun out.
- Use ceiling fans in the summer and winter. In the summer, rotate the blades counterclockwise to force hot air up. In the winter, rotate the blades clockwise, which forces cold air up and warmer air down.
- Have your HVAC system maintained in the summer and winter.
- Have your ducts cleaned.
- Make sure there are no gaps in your windows and doorways. Those gaps let cold air in during the winter and hot air during the summer, making your system work harder and increasing costs. Seal any gaps. Better yet, invest in energy-efficient windows.
- Think green. If you need to replace your furnace or AC unit, make sure it is energy-efficient.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
How Do You Know What Tonnage You Need for Your New Air Conditioning Unit?
July 16, 2018
There’s quite a bit that goes into choosing a new air conditioning unit. Picking out the right efficiency is important, as is choosing a brand Read more…