- Categories: Plumbing
- Date: December 12, 2016
Most people do not know it, but plumbers install and repair gas piping. Gas piping can be very beneficial. Consider these examples:
- Using a natural gas line to barbecue is much more convenient that lugging around and constantly replacing propane tanks. Plus you don’t run the risk of the tank running out of gas while you are grilling for yourself or a houseful of guests.
- Using a log lighter or fake log in a fireplace eliminates the interruption of constantly placing logs on the fire while you are comfortably curled up.
- Cooking with a gas cooktop allows for more even heat and quicker cooking.
- Using gas is less expensive than electric-powered counterparts (water heater, furnace, dryer, etc.)
- Most gas-powered appliances, etc. will continue to work during a power outage.
Each appliance has a minimum input demand measured in BTUs per hour. The chart below shows some typical requirements.
|Minimum Demand of Typical Gas Appliances in BTUs Per Hour|
|Appliance||Demand in BTU/hour|
|Domestic clothes dryer||35,000|
|Domestic Gas Range||65,000|
|Domestic Recessed Oven Section||25,000|
|Fireplace Gas Log||80,000|
|Storage Water Heater, 30-40 gallon tank||35,000|
|Storage Water Heater, 50 gallon tank||50,000|
But installing gas piping is not an easy task.
- The required gas supply cannot be less than the maximum hourly rating as specified by the manufacturer, or use of minimum demands such as shown above.
- Gas piping has to be properly sized to ensure the required amount of gas is delivered to each appliance. Failure to do this can result in damage to the appliance and perhaps cause the appliance to create carbon monoxide.
- There are a few different methods for determining the right size.
- There are several different materials used to transmit gas, including steel, poly, copper and corrugated stainless steel tubing. Each of these material types has multiple sizing charts based on the expected pressure drop across the run.
For all these reasons, it is strongly suggested that you use a professional for this complex task.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
June 19, 2017
There are several benefits to an attic fan.They save energy. Attic fans can lower a home’s living area temperature by as much as 10 degrees, Read more…