Caring for Cast Iron
- Categories: Ravinia Plumbing
- Date: March 28, 2017
Cast iron bathroom fixtures are great. They are very durable…thicker, heavier and more durable than steel. The porcelain enamel surface of cast iron tubs and other items is extremely resistant to damage. Plus, vintage cast iron tubs are a thing of beauty…works of art really.
Given the durability and beauty of cast iron tubs, whirlpools, lavatories and kitchen sinks, you will want to care for them properly. Here are some tips:
- Most importantly, clean them every time you use them. The majority of bathtub rings are due to oil and grime that have been allowed to sit and build up.
- Start by rinsing thoroughly and then use a mild, non-abrasive cleaner. Do not use cream-based cleaners either, as they can build up and reduce the friction on slip-resistant surfaces. Use water-soluble cleaners. Some examples of appropriate cleaners include:
a. Comet Bathroom Cleaner
b. Fantastik Antibacterial Heavy Duty
c. Formula 409 Antibacterial All Purpose
d. Windex Original
e. Lysol Bathroom Cleaner
f. Tilex Soap Scum Remover For Rust Removal:
g. Bon Ami
h. Super Iron Out Multi-Purpose Rust Stain Remover
i. Zud Multi-Purpose Cream Cleanser Safeguard Slip-Resistant Surface:
j. Express R.O.G.3 Tub and Tile Cleaner*
- Apply by using a soft cloth. Use a soft nylon brush on slip-resistant surfaces on the bottom of the bath, whirlpool or shower. Do not use steel wool, wire brushes or abrasive sponge pads on any part of the item, as they can scratch or damage the surface.
- For tough stains, you can use a commercial tub cleaner designed specifically for cast iron tubs. You can also use abrasive cleaners sparingly, but not on slip-resistant surfaces.
- In case of rust, try a paste solution of Borax and lemon juice. If that does not work, you can cover the stain with salt and rub with a lemon. Let it sit and then rub it with a nylon sponge. Repeat if necessary.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Spray Foam Insulation
October 18, 2017
While we are all familiar with standard fiberglass insulation, there is a more efficient type of insulation. It is called spray foam insulation Read more…