Bathroom Safety – More Tips
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 235,000 people aged 15 and over visit emergency rooms every year due to accidents that occur in the bathroom. Almost 14% are hospitalized. The injury rate is significantly higher for women.
Last month we talked to you about ways to avoid slipping in the bathroom. But that is not the only way you can injure yourself in the bathroom. Here is some more advice on bathroom safety.
First, some tips especially for children:
- Never, ever, ever leave young children alone in the bathtub. Turning your back for even a few seconds to answer the phone or the door can have fatal consequences.
- Also, if nobody is using the tub, make sure it is empty.
- Make sure all medications have safety caps. Even then, make sure the medications are not within reach of children.
- Have a pull out step so kids can reach the sink. If they have to reach or jump, they may fall.
Other tips (for adults as well as children):
- Water temperature should never be more than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Install faucets that have a hot-limit safety top feature to prevent water that is too hot from coming out of the faucet.
- Install an anti-scald pressure balanced valve in the shower. That way, if there is a sudden drop in water pressure while you are in the shower, you will not be blasted by hot water.
- As you age, consider getting either a toilet seat extender or purchasing a taller toilet. It will make it easier for you to get up. Also consider putting a grab bar by the toilet.
- Unplug all electrical items, such as hair dryers, hair straighteners, and electric razors when they are not being used. Also, make sure they are never by water when you are using them.
- To be extra safe regarding electricity, install sockets with ground fault circuit interrupters in the bathroom.
- Use a night light.
Family Owned Since 1928
1580 Old Skokie Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035
P: (847) 579-5565
F: (847) 831-5694
Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 8:00-5:00, Sat. 8:00-1:30
View Location on a Map
Caring for Plastic Fixtures
May 23, 2017
There are many advantages to plastic materials. They are light in weight. They are strong and easy to produce. They are hard to break. For bathro Read more…